Registering to Vote
This is the section where we aim to answer your questions concerning who can register to vote, what category of elector you need to register as and how to register.
Entitlement is based on nationality, age and residence. People can register to vote if they are:
- British citizens
- Qualifying Commonwealth citizens (this means Commonwealth citizens who have leave to enter or remain in the UK or do not require such leave)
- Citizens of the Irish Republic
- Citizens of other European Union member states
If you qualify under one of the above you must also be 16 years of age or older, although you must be 18 or older to vote, and have an address at which you are resident.
Entitlement to registration is no longer based on a fixed annual qualifying date. With the introduction of "rolling registration" applications can now be made at any time of the year, the only stipulation being that you are resident on the date of your application.
Special provision has been made to allow certain groups to register even though they may live or work overseas, or have no permanent address at which to register. These are known as special category electors.
The annual canvass began on the 10 October, 2013 with voter registration forms being posted out to 57,000 households in the district to enable the new annual register to be published on 17 February, 2014.
After publication of the new register on 17 February 2014, if you move house or your name has not been included, you can apply to have your name added by completing an application to be registered.
If you have received your canvass form and there are no changes, you can confirm your details either by freephone 0800 197 9876 (24 hours) or online at www.registerbyinternet.com/teignbridge
Annual Canvass 2013
On 10th October Teignbridge District Council will be posting voter registration forms to all 57,000 households within the district, marking the start of this year's annual canvass of electors.
- As a proxy, how do I apply to vote by post?
- How do I apply to vote by post?
- How do I apply to vote by proxy?
How do I make an application under 'rolling registration'?
Please note that these application forms cannot be completed online due to the need for a personal signature.
Special category electors
- How do I make an application as a Crown Servant?
- How do I make an application as a mental health patient
- How do I make an application as a remand prisoner?
- How do I make an application as an anonymous elector?
- What is the annual canvass?
- Who has access to my information and what are the two versions of the register?