The Council is committed to supporting access to both affordable and market housing for local people. This includes supporting people wishing to build their own homes.
Self build housing, also known as Custom Build, typically involves individuals commissioning the construction of a new house from a builder, contractor, package company or physically building a house for themselves.
It also includes community-led housing projects who build mostly affordable homes for the benefit of the community, either individually or in cooperation with a builder or housing provider. Residential refurbishment projects involving the conversion or regeneration of disused buildings may also be considered part of Custom Build housing.
Teignbridge District Council held a showcase Self Build Call to Action Day on 13 June 2014, for would-be self builders to meet industry experts and learn more about building your own unique home. Self Build Call to Action Day June 2013 [278kb] has details of the presenters, exhibitors and useful contacts from the event.
If you are interested in building your own home fill in the Teignbridge Self Build expression of interest form to register your interest and allow the Council to pass on your details to plot providers.
The Council is taking action to support self build by;
- including a specific ' Custom Build [7kb]' policy in the Adopted Local Plan which requires a proportion of self build plots to be provided in all large developments;
- Maps of large scale allocated development sites within the Adopted Local Plan [2Mb]
- Plan Teignbridge 2013-2033 has details of all policies within the Adopted Local Plan
- supporting Neighbourhood Plans and appropriate larger schemes seeking to deliver multiple self build plots
- working with affordable housing providers and other partners, including The Land Society to provide affordable self build plots for local people in housing need.
Hints and tips;
- Understand what type of self build is best for you and your budget - use the Self Build Portal interactive guide The Self Build Portal.
- If you are a group, read the HCA Custom Build prospectus for loan finance opportunities HCA Custom Build Loans for multi-unit schemes.
- Check the details of planning permissions or the prospect of planning permission with the Local Planning Authority before you buy land.
- Consider the likely cost of any Community Infrastructure Levy when negotiating the purchase of a site.
- Fill in the Teignbridge Self Build expression of interest form to register your interest and allow the Council to pass on your details to plot providers.