Teignbridge District Council has been given £100,000 to help self-builders get their projects off the ground.
Teignbridge is one of only 11 areas to have been named by the Department for Communities and Local Government as a Right to Build vanguard which will help prospective self-builders secure a plot of land.
The money will allow Teignbridge to continue its great work in bringing shovel-ready sites and help people secure a suitable plot of land so they can design and build their own home.
We are committed to supporting access to both affordable and market housing for local people. This includes supporting people wishing to build their own homes.
Self build housing, also known as Custom Build, typically involves individuals commissioning the construction of a new house from a builder, contractor, package company or physically building a house for themselves.
It also includes community-led housing projects who build mostly affordable homes for the benefit of the community, either individually or in cooperation with a builder or housing provider. Residential refurbishment projects involving the conversion or regeneration of disused buildings may also be considered part of Custom Build housing.
These sites have planning permission or resolution to grant planning permission (October 2014)
|Total Dwellings||Approximate Self Build Plots|
|Bovey Tracey||13/00251/MAJ: Land North Of Bovey Road NGR 282703 78114, Bradley Road, Bovey Tracey||205||20|
|Kingsteignton||12/01737/MAJ: Land West of Besigheim Way, South East Of Penns Mount, Vicarage Hill, Kingsteignton||250||8|
|Teignmouth||14/00447/MAJ: Land West Of Higher Exeter Road, Teignmouth||255||12|
|Chudleigh||13/01062/MAJ: Land At NGR 285932 78878 Station Hill, Station Hill, Chudleigh||230||10|
|Broadhempston||13/00305/FUL: Land At NGR 280841 66473 Easterways Field, Broadhempston||6||6|
|Matford, SW Exeter||13/02729/MAJ: Land at Matford Home Park, South of A379, Exeter||230||11|
To search for any related applications please use Planning Online Search
If you are interested in building your own home and would like to be kept up to date with the latest news fill in the Teignbridge Self Build expression of interest form.
- including a specific ' Custom Build [7kb]' policy in the Adopted Local Plan which requires a proportion of self build plots to be provided in all large developments;
- supporting Neighbourhood Planning and appropriate larger schemes seeking to deliver multiple self build plots
- working with affordable housing providers and other partners, including The Land Society to provide affordable self build plots for local people in housing need.
- a showcase Self Build Call to Action Day was held on 13 June 2014, for would-be self builders to meet industry experts and learn more about building your own unique home. Self Build Call to Action Day June 2014 [278kb] has details of the presenters, exhibitors and useful contacts from the event.
- Understand what type of self build is best for you and your budget - use the Self Build Portal interactive guide The Self Build Portal.
- If you are a group, read the HCA Custom Build prospectus for loan finance opportunities HCA Custom Build Loans for multi-unit schemes.
- Check the details of planning permissions or the prospect of planning permission with the Local Planning Authority before you buy land.
- Consider the likely cost of any Community Infrastructure Levy when negotiating the purchase of a site.
- Fill in the Teignbridge Self Build expression of interest form to register your interest and allow the Council to pass on your details to plot providers.