Rate This Page

Did you find this page useful?

Very Useful Quite Useful
Not at all

text size
- +


translate this site into different languages

High Hedges

Information and advice about how to make a formal complaint under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003.

High Hedges

If you wish to make a formal complaint about your neighbour's hedge, under Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003, the Council can only intervene once you have tried and exhausted all other avenues for resolving your hedge dispute. A copy of the leaflet 'Over the Garden Hedge' sets out some steps that you should consider trying.

The Council's role is to act as an independent and impartial adjudicator in those cases, which people cannot settle for themselves. We cannot, therefore, negotiate or mediate between you and your neighbour.

If you cannot agree a solution with your neighbour, further information can be obtained from the leaflet High Hedges: Complaining to the Council.  The cost of making a formal complaint to the Local Authority is £385.  If you wish to submit a complaint please complete the pdf icon High Hedge Complaints Form [107kb] and also view the pdf icon High Hedges Complaint Guidance Notes [81kb]  You should, however, bear in mind that the Council can reject a complaint if we think someone has not done everything they reasonably could to negotiate a solution to their hedge problems. So if you don't follow the advice in the leaflet, you will need to explain why not.

Further information is available from the Communities and Local Government website.