Rate This Page

Did you find this page useful?

Very Useful Quite Useful
Not at all

text size
- +


translate this site into different languages

Benefits and Reductions

Housing Benefit is a means tested benefit administered by Teignbridge District Council on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions. Council Tax Reduction (also known as Council Tax Support) is the local scheme adopted by Teignbridge to provide a means tested reduction to council tax bills for people who have a low income.

Who can apply for Council Tax Support?

Anyone who is responsible for paying Council Tax for the property they live in i.e.: the person, or their partner, named on the bill.  Council Tax Support is based on personal circumstances, income and capital.

We are proposing to make changes to the scheme from April 2017, for further information please see Changes to Council Tax Reduction Scheme and Housing Benefit Scheme.

For other reductions, exemptions or discounts go to Discounts and Exemptions

Who can apply for Housing Benefit?

Anyone who pays rent.  This could be as a private tenant, Council tenant, Housing Association tenant, sub-tenant or lodger.

Who can apply for Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

If you are getting Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit but still cannot pay all of your rent you may be able to get extra help. Please see Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP).

Popular pages in this section