Do I qualify for council tax support?

Council tax support is a local means-tested scheme for people on a low income to help them pay their council tax bill.

You may be able to get council tax support if you receive other benefits, work part-time or work full-time on a low income.

You must be liable to pay council tax to apply for council tax support, and if you are of working age both you and any partner must have total savings of £6,000 or less.

To see if you could qualify please use the start button for our calculator. 


Start the journey


More info about the journey

  • details of earnings, including how much tax, national insurance and pension contributions are paid
  • details of non earned income and benefits
  • detail of all savings, investments, bank and building society accounts
  • your council tax bill showing your full charge



If the calculator shows that you qualify, go to the Apply for Council Tax Support page and make a claim.



When this content has been updated

Last updated 14 August 2018