Do I qualify for housing benefit?

If the following statements apply to you, you may be entitled to Housing Benefit.

  • I am responsible for paying rent for the home that I live in. (Although we cannot help with mortgage payments,  tells you what help is available.)
  • my partner and I are on a low income – this could be from benefits, pensions or earnings.
  • my partner and I have total savings of £16,000 or less.

If yes, please start the calculator to see if you qualify.

If you are a private tenant (you pay rent to a private landlord, not a Housing Association) you will need to read the information about Local Housing Allowance (LHA) before using the benefit calculator.

The calculator only provides an estimate of how much Housing Benefit you might receive - we cannot tell you how much you will actually qualify for until you make a claim and we have been able to make an assessment.


Start the journey


More info about the journey

  • address and post code
  • details of earnings, including how much tax, national insurance and pension contributions are paid
  • details of non earned income and benefits
  • details of childcare costs
  • details of all savings, investments, bank and building society accounts
  • if you live in rented accommodation, how much rent is charged

If you qualify for housing benefit then use the apply for Housing Benefit page to make your claim online.

If you would like to know what other benefits you may be entitled to visit GOV.UK Benefits calculators

When this content has been updated

Last updated 14 August 2018