You can only apply for Housing Benefit if you:
- have reached pension age, you can check this using the gov.uk pension age checker
- are homeless and the council has placed you in temporary accommodation or you live in specified accommodation (where you receive care, support or supervision) or are in accommodation provided as a result of domestic violence
If you do not fall into any of the categories above you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent.
However if you are unsure if this applies to you, you can contact the Jobcentre on 0800 169 0310 or contact Teignbridge Benefit Services on 01626 361 101.
If you also need help with your council tax you can claim Council Tax Reduction at the same time.
Awards will normally start from the Monday after your claim is received by us, so it is important that you do not delay if you want to claim.
You can start to make your claim even if you do not have all of the information. Save the partially completed form and return later to complete it.
We also use information received from the DWP, in relation to changes to DWP benefits in payment or just awarded, which can automatically amend claimants entitlement.
Use the 'Start' button to make a new application or you can return to a previously saved form.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
To complete the form you will need to have the following information:
- name, date of birth, national insurance number
- address and post code
- details of earnings, including how much tax, national insurance and pension contributions are paid
- details of non earned income and benefits
- details of childcare costs
- detail of all savings, investments, bank and building society accounts
- if you live in rented accommodation, how much rent is charged, and your landlords name and address
You can start to make your claim even if you do not have all of the information. Save the partially completed from and return later to complete it.
Having completed the application you will receive a checklist which will tell you if you need to complete any other forms (eg. self employed earnings) or supply an evidence. The additional forms are available here. Your claim will be assessed and you will be contacted in due course.