Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Apply for housing benefit

Since 5th September 2018 you should only apply for Housing Benefit if you:

  • have reached pension age, you can check this using the pension age checker
  • are homeless and the council has placed you in temporary accommodation or you live in specified accommodation (where you receive care, support or supervision) or are in accommodation provided as a result of domestic violence

From 16 January 2019 the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) made changes to the rules and you can claim Housing Benefit if you receive the Severe Disability Premium within your existing DWP benefits.

However, from 27th January 2021 this rule ends and you will be expected to claim Universal Credit from then on.

If you have already claimed Universal Credit, this is not an option as there is no Severe Disability Premium in Universal Credit. You must then claim Housing Costs Element within Universal Credit.

You typically receive Severe Disability Premium if you receive one of the following benefits :

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component at the middle or higher rate
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component at the standard or enhance rate
  • Attendance Allowance  or Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

If you do not fall into any of the categories above you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent.

However if you are unsure if this applies to you, you can contact the Jobcentre on 0800 169 0310 or contact Teignbridge Benefit Services on 01626 361 101.

If you have checked that you are eligible to claim Housing Benefit and not Universal Credit you must complete the online application form.

If you also need help with your council tax you can claim Council Tax Reduction at the same time.

Awards will normally start from the Monday after your claim is received by us, so it is important that you do not delay if you want to claim.

You can start to make your claim even if you do not have all of the information. Save the partially completed form and return later to complete it.

We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected by adhering to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We have more detail available on how we collect and use information, you can also view our privacy policy.

At Teignbridge District Council we use automated decision making in relation to risk based verification for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support where an algorithm is used to group applications by risk level. The final decision regarding payment of the claim is always made by an officer of the council.

We also use information received from the DWP, in relation to changes to DWP benefits in payment or just awarded, which can automatically amend claimants entitlement.

Use the 'Start' button to make a new application or you can return to a previously saved form.


Start the journey


More info about the journey

To complete the form you will need to have the following information:

  • name, date of birth, national insurance number
  • address and post code
  • details of earnings, including how much tax, national insurance and pension contributions are paid
  • details of non earned income and benefits
  • details of childcare costs
  • detail of all savings, investments, bank and building society accounts
  • if you live in rented accommodation, how much rent is charged, and your landlords name and address

You can start to make your claim even if you do not have all of the information. Save the partially completed from and return later to complete it. 


Having completed the application you will receive a checklist which will tell you if you need to complete any other forms (eg. self employed earnings) or supply an evidence. The additional forms are available here. Your claim will be assessed and you will be contacted in due course.


When this content has been updated

Last updated 22 December 2020