Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

You can apply for Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) if you are already receiving Housing Benefit or the housing costs element of Universal Credit and:

  • you need a top up of your rent if you are not receiving the full amount;
  • you are homeless or at risk of homelessness and have found a private tenancy and need help with a deposit or rent in advance or;
  • you need help with moving costs

Under the Homeless Reduction Act 2017 we have a duty to refer all DHP applicants to our Housing Solutions Team for an initial assessment and advice before we consider any award of DHP. 

The government provides us with a limited amount of money to assist those who need extra help with housing costs. DHP are not benefit payments, they are made at our discretion, if having looked at your application, we believe you need extra support.

To apply please download and complete the DHP Application Form.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 2 November 2021