Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.


Why do overpayments happen?

If you have a change in circumstances, you must contact us immediately as your benefit might also change. If your circumstances change and you do not tell us straight away, we might pay you too much benefit. This is called an overpayment.

In most cases if we have paid you too much housing benefit, you will have to pay it back.

If your Council Tax Support is reduced, your bill is simply adjusted according to your new level of support and any extra charge is payable accordingly.

How can you stop an overpayment happening?

You must tell us as soon as there are any changes in your circumstances. If possible, tell us before any change happens. We can then make sure you are getting the right amount of benefit.

Always read the award letters we send you. They tell you about the details we have used to work out your benefit. You should double check the income and capital we have used to assess your claim. If you think we have used the wrong figures, you must contact us straight away.

It is your responsibility to tell us about the change, even if your landlord receives your Housing Benefit money direct. Your landlord also has a responsibility to tell us about any changes if he or she is aware of them.

How will you know if you are overpaid?

If you have been overpaid Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, we will write and tell you:

  • that there is an overpayment and the reason

  • the amount of the overpayment

  • how we worked out the overpayment

  • who the overpayment is recoverable from and at what rate

If you are still receiving Housing Benefit we will make a deduction from your ongoing weekly payments and this will be explained in your overpayment letter. The minimum rate of recovery is £11.25 per week, although we can take more in certain circumstances.

If you are no longer entitled to Housing Benefit then you will receive an invoice along with your overpayment letter which must be settled within 14 days.  

Repay a Housing Benefit overpayment online

You can make a payment online with a debit or credit card

Having difficulties making a repayment?

If you have been sent an invoice and cannot afford to pay it back all at once, we can arrange a repayment plan. If you are struggling financially because of an overpayment, please contact us on 01626 215000 to discuss how we can help.

If you are struggling to pay your council tax bill because of a change in your Council Tax Support, please contact us on 01626 215000.

What if I don't agree with your decision?

If you disagree with our overpayment decision, you can ask us to look at it again using the appeal process.


When this content has been updated

Last updated 16 March 2021