What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age on a low income. It is being introduced gradually across the country and began in Teignbridge on 9 November 2015.

From 1 January 2018, the rollout of Universal Credit is being paused in the Teignbridge area until September 2018.

This means from 1 January 2018, no new claims can be made for Universal Credit.

If you are single and newly out-of-work, from 1 January 2018 until further notice, you will need to claim Jobseekers Allowance.

If you need to claim Income Support or Employment Support Allowance you must also contact the Jobcentre to do so. You can contact the Jobcentre by ringing 0800 169 0310.

For help with rent payments you will need to claim Housing Benefit.

For help with Council tax you will need to claim Council tax support.

If you are already claiming Universal Credit these changes will not affect you, if you have any queries about your Universal Credit claim or which benefit you should apply for, please contact the Jobcentre on 0800 169 0310.


When this content has been updated

Last updated 8 February 2018