Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

What is Universal Credit

The way you receive benefits and tax credits changed from September 2018 following the rollout of Universal Credit 

You can only apply for Housing Benefit if you:

  • have reached pension age, you can check this using the pension age checker
  • are homeless and the council has placed you in temporary accommodation or you live in specified accommodation (where you receive care, support or supervision) or are in accommodation provided as a result of domestic violence

If you do not fall into any of the categories above you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent. Please only use this link to the genuine Government website to make or manage your claim Universal Credit, as we have been made aware of scam websites.

However if you are unsure if this applies to you, you can contact the Jobcentre on 0800 169 0310 or contact Teignbridge Benefit Services on 01626 361 101.

Landlords can find further information and guides about Universal Credit online.

For help with your Council Tax you still need to claim Council Tax support directly from Teignbridge Council.

Universal Credit also replaces the following working age benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance (Income based)
  • Employment and Support allowance (Income based)
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

If you currently receive any of these benefits, you will be transferred to Universal Credit as part of a managed process. You may be transferred sooner if there is a change to one of your benefits or if you need to make a new claim. You will receive a letter if you are affected by any change to Universal Credit.

If you have any queries about your Universal Credit claim or which benefit you should apply for, please contact the Jobcentre on 0800 169 0310.

We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected by adhering to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). More detail is available on how we collect and use information, you can also view our privacy policy.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 10 April 2024