9. Local Discretionary Rate Relief
Local Discretionary Rate Relief
In the 2017 Spring Budget the Government created a fund to provide support to businesses who had an increase in their rates bill due to the 2017 Revaluation. The Government asked local authorities to design a local scheme for granting support to those businesses.
The full details of our scheme is available in our Discretionary Non Domestic Rate Relief Policy.
There are two parts to the scheme:
- Part A – Relief given for years 2017/18 and 2018/19 according to formula based criteria
- Part B – Relief given on a case by case basis where a ratepayer can demonstrate that they have experienced financial difficulties as a result of the revaluation
We have already contacted and awarded relief to those businesses that meet the criteria under Part A.
If you have not been contacted regarding relief under Part A then you are only eligible to apply under part B of the scheme and the Council is keen to identify ratepayers who may qualify for the relief.
To apply under Part B of the scheme :
When assessing your application, we will take into account:
- the amount of the increase in rate liability due to the revaluation
- the amount of rates in relation to other business expenses and income of the business
- the amount of reserves held by the business
- the ability of the business to pay the increase
To apply under Part B of the scheme please download the application form and either scan and return it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or print and send by post to Teignbridge District Council, Business Rates, Forde House, Brunel Road, Newton Abbot, TQ12 4XX.
We require the ratepayer (and not an agent) to complete the application. If the ratepayer is a limited company, you must be a director of that company to complete an application.