3. How to register for business rates
If you are not already registered and do not have a business rates account reference please follow the process below.
Please note that new registrations after 11 March 2020, requiring changes to the Valuation Rating List, will be unlikely to qualify for the small business or expanded retail grants. Government guidance states that changes after 11 March 2020 are to be ignored for the purposes of eligibility.
To register you must complete and return this application form.
You must also provide -
- a copy of your signed lease
- a written statement from your landlord to confirm that you were in exclusive possession of the business rates property on 11 March 2020
- a copy of a utility bill for your business dated before 11 March 2020
- proof that you applied for public liability insurance before 11 March 2020
- any other information that you wish to submit to support that you should have been held liable for business rates on 11 March 2020
Send the form and images of the above documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Put “Covid-19 Business Grant request” as the subject title of your email.
You can attach copies of the documents required in the list above. In order to do this, save a photo or a copy of the requested documents to your mobile device or computer desktop. From your email select ‘Attach file’ (this often appears as a paperclip icon) You will then be able to ‘Choose from photo library’ or ‘Choose from files’ in order to select the photo/document from where you have saved it. The attached photo/documents should then appear under the subject line on the email. Continue to send your email.
It may take us longer than usual to reply, whilst we deal with the current high level of demand.
Once we are satisfied that you should be registered as the current Business Rates Ratepayer we will send you your Business Rate reference number.
You will need this to make a claim for the Business Grant. Please do not try to apply now, you need to wait for your reference number.
Registering for business rates does not automatically qualify you for a business grant.