When this content has been published
Published on 5 May 2017
15 May 2017 - Annual Council
Agenda, Reports and Minutes of the Annual Council Meeting, 15 May, 2017
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Annual Meeting of the Council at which your attendance is requested, will be held in the Council Chamber, Forde House, Newton Abbot on MONDAY 15 MAY, 2017 at 2.15 p.m. to transact the business specified in the agenda set out below.
This agenda gives notice that the Council’s Planning Committee, the Regulatory and Appeals Committee, Overview and Scrutiny Committee, Audit Scrutiny Committee and the Licensing Act 2003 Committee will be meeting on this day to appoint Chairmen and Vice Chairmen. The Executive will be meeting at the rising of the Council meeting to consider initial operation arrangements. The Licensing Act 2003 Committee will also be meeting to appoint its Sub Committees.
To: Members of Teignbridge District Council
Public Access Statement
• There is an opportunity for Members of the public to ask questions at this meeting. Please submit your questions together with your name and address to by 12 Noon on Thursday 11 May at the very latest.
• Reports in Parts I and III of this agenda are for public information. Any reports in Part II are exempt from publication due to the information included, under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972.
• Please contact us if you would like this information in another format, please telephone 01626 361101 or e-mail.
• Agendas and reports are normally published on the Council’s website five working days prior to the meeting. Please contact us if you would like to receive an e-mail which contains a link to the website for all forthcoming meetings.
(Open to the Public)
1. Apologies for Absence.
2. Retiring Chairman’s announcements and presentations.
3. Election of Chairman of the Council.
The Retiring Chairman will seek nominations. Following election the Retiring Chairman will hand over the Chain of Office to the new Chairman. The Chairman will sign his/her Declaration of Acceptance of Office and give a short speech. Press photographs may be taken following which the Retiring Chairman will be presented with his past Chairman’s badge.
At this point the Council will adjourn for 15 minutes. The Council will be reconvened by the new Chairman of the Council.
5. Election of Vice-Chairman of the Council.
The new Chairman will seek nominations. Following the election the Chairman will hand over the Vice-Chairman’s Chain of Office to the new Vice-Chairman. At this stage the new Vice-Chairman will sign his/her Declaration of Acceptance of Office and give a short speech. Press photographs may be taken.
6. To approve as a correct record and sign the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 6 March 2017. (Minute numbers 383 to 394 attached at the front of the agenda).
7. Chairman’s Announcement.
8. Declaration of Interests.
9. Executive 2017/18 - The Leader to notify the Council of the Deputy Leader and the Executive Member appointments and assignment of their portfolios.
10. Public Questions under Council Procedure Rule 4.5 (j), (if any). (Deadline noon 11 May 2017).
11. Questions under Council Procedure Rule 4.5 (k), (if any). (Deadline noon 10 May 2017).
12. Notices of Motion under Council Procedure Rule 4.5 (l), (if any)
(deadline Noon 8 May 2017).
13. Committee Appointments and Political Balance and Appendix - Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
The Planning, the Regulatory and Appeals, the Licensing Act 2003, Audit Scrutiny Committee and the Overview and Scrutiny Committees will appoint Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen for the 2016/17 Municipal Year.
14. Proposed Appointments & Remuneration Committee (verbal report).
PART II (Private)
Items which may be taken in the absence of the Public and Press on grounds that Exempt Information may be disclosed.
15. The Council is recommended to approve the following resolution:
That under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 the Press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item(s) of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 1 2, 3, 4 and 5 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act”.
16. Appointment of Independent Persons under the Localism Act 2011. (Monitoring Officer to report).
17. Provision of funding to the RSPB to purchase land for a Cirl Bunting reserve. (Pages 1 to 11 attached).
18 Staffing matters.
19. The Chairman will announce:
“That the Common Seal of the Council be affixed to any document or documents necessary to give effect to the resolutions passed by the Council at this meeting.”
Minutes of Meeting
If Councillors have any questions relating to predetermination or interests in items on this Agenda, please contact the Monitoring Officer in advance of the meeting.
At the rising of the Council meeting the Licensing Committee will meet in the Council Chamber to appoint the Sub Committees for the 2017/18 Municipal Year. The Executive will meet in the Leander Room to consider initial operational arrangements.