When this content has been published
Published on 16 September 2016
26 September 2016
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a Meeting of the Council at which your attendance is requested, will be held in the COUNCIL CHAMBER, FORDE HOUSE, BRUNEL ROAD, NEWTON ABBOT, TQ12 4XX on MONDAY, 26 SEPTEMBER 2016 at 11.30 a.m. to transact the business specified in the Agenda as set out.
Note: A Member briefing on Devolution will be held in the Council Chamber from 9.30 a.m. prior to Full Council.
If Councillors have any questions relating to predetermination or interests in items on this Agenda, please contact the Monitoring Officer in advance of the meeting.
To: The Chairman and Members of Teignbridge District Council.
A G E N D A
(Open to the Public)
1. Apologies for Absence.
2. To approve as a correct record and sign the minutes of the Council meeting held on 26 July 2016
3. Chairman's Announcements.
4. Declarations of Interest.
5. Public Questions Session under Council Procedure Rule 4.5(j) (if any) to be submitted no later than Noon on 22 September 2016.
6. Councillor Questions under Council Procedure Rule 4.5(k) (if any) to be submitted by 20 September 2016.
Notices of Motion under Council Procedure Rule 4.5(l) (if any) had to be submitted by 14 September 2016.
The following notice of motion has been submitted by Councillor Dewhirst and supported by Councillors Brodie, Connett, Nutley, Parker and Pilkington.
"This Council calls upon the Government to make fair transitional state pension arrangements for all women born on or after 6th April 1951, who have unfairly borne the burden of the increase to the State Pension Age (SPA) with lack of appropriate notification. Hundreds of thousands of women had significant pension changes imposed on them by the Pensions Acts of 1995 and 2011 with little or no personal notification of the changes. Some women had only two years notice of a six-year increase to their state pension age. Many women born in the 1950's are living in hardship. Retirement plans have been shattered with devastating consequences. Many of these women are already out of the labour market, caring for elderly relatives, providing childcare for grandchildren, or suffer discrimination in the workplace so struggle to find employment. Women born in this decade are suffering financially. These women have worked hard, raised families and paid their tax and national insurance with the expectation that they would be financially secure when reaching 60. It is not the pension age itself that is in dispute - it is widely accepted that women and men should retire at the same time. The issue is that the rise in the women's state pension age has been too rapid and has happened without sufficient notice being given to the women affected, leaving women with no time to make alternative arrangements.
The Council calls upon the Government to reconsider transitional arrangements for women born on or after 6th April 1951, so that women do not live in hardship due to pension changes they were not told about until it was too late to make alternative arrangements."
The following notice of motion has been submitted by Councillor Hook and supported by Councillors Brodie, Connett, Dewhirst, Jones, Nutley, Parker and Pilkington.
"Enforcement of Planning Applications and investigation of potential breaches of planning are essential functions of any local authority. Due to no fault of their own the current Enforcement team seem heavily over worked and under staffed. As a direct consequence of a lack of staff, enforcement in Teignbridge is suffering, and the public are not getting the service they deserve and for which they are paying.
Therefore, as a matter of urgency, this authority will employ an additional member of staff either on a short term contract while current problems exist, or by way of a secondment from another authority to ease the immediate and urgent problems within the department."
8. 2015/16 Statement of Accounts including the Annual Governance Statement and Treasury Management Results - to bring the Statement of Accounts 2015/16, letter of representation for approval, to bring the treasury management results 2015/16 to Members attention and for Council to note the Audit Findings Report from external auditors Grant Thornton
- item 8 Referral Final Accounts
- item 8 App September 14 Statement of Accounts
- item App 1 Current authorised lending list
- item App 2 21 July Audit Report Draft Final Accounts
- item App 2 21 July Audit draft treasury management results
9. Energy Services Company - To consider formation of an Energy Service Company, (ESCo) for the purpose of procuring a private sector partner and funding to deliver District Heating Networks in Exeter (city centre to Wonford) and at SW Exeter (connecting the Energy from Waste facility to SW Exeter)
10. Great Exeter Strategic Plan - to consider a proposal for a joint strategic plan for the Greater Exeter area which would be prepared in partnership between East Devon District Council, Exeter City Council, Mid Devon District Council and Teignbridge District Council with assistance from Devon County Council
11. Appointments and Political Balance - to consider the appointments and political balance of the Council and its Committees following the Teignmouth Central Ward by-election to be held on 22 September
12. Local Government Boundary Commission - draft recommendations on the new electoral arrangements for Teignbridge District Council
13. Connecting Devon & Somerset (CDS) Broadband - the Chief Executive to provide a verbal update regards CDS's roll-out of superfast broadband
14. The Chairman will announce:
"That the Common Seal of the Council be affixed to any document or documents necessary to give effect to the resolutions passed by the Council at this meeting."
Items which may be taken in the absence of the Public and Press on grounds that Exempt Information may be disclosed.
Minutes of Meeting