Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.


Show all parts of this guide

2. Responsibility for clearing blockages

Who's responsible for clearing blockages?

  • homeowners are responsible for clearing and repairing drains, gutters and rainwater pipes. Blockages can sometimes be cleared with drainage rods or employ a specialist drain clearance company.
  • tenants, normally the landlord is responsible, however the landlord may pass the costs on to you depending on the tenancy agreement.
  • sewers are the responsibility of South West Water Limited (SWW). Contact SWW on 0800 169 1144.
  • highways gullies are the responsibility of Devon County Council, blockages can be reported to them by calling 03451 551 004.