The council is not an emergency response organisation, but it has a role to play in supporting the emergency services in their response to an emergency. If you need emergency assistance, contact the emergency services by dialling 999, and ask for the Police, Fire, Ambulance or Coastguard.
The Council's role
The Emergency Planning team co-ordinates planning, training and exercises to ensure rapid response in an emergency and full recovery to normality afterwards.
The council provides support to the emergency services during major emergencies, as well as information and advice to residents and businesses before, during and after an emergency. This includes:
- providing support to the emergency services
- providing support services to the community affected
- maintaining normal services at an appropriate level to the unaffected part of the community
- mitigating the effects of the emergency
- organising the recovery and return to normality of the community, including co-ordination of the activities of all involved
- organising the recovery and return to normality of council services
- working closely with other local authorities in Devon, voluntary organisations and the emergency services to prepare and validate the council's and other local responder's Emergency Plans
What you can do to help yourself
It's a good idea to keep a list of all your personal information and contact numbers handy in case you have to leave home in a hurry. A Clear Plan is a useful leaflet for householders explaining what you can do.
Community Resilience 'Self Help' Plans
Many parishes and towns within Teignbridge have their own 'Emergency Committee' and an emergency plan. You can see more information on existing plans or preparing your own at Devon Community Resilience Forum, or contact your local parish or town council.
Local Resilience Forum
We work with the Local Resilience Forum (LRF), a multi agency group chaired by the Police, covering Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. The LRF have a number of plans and a Community Risk Register which gives details of the major risk and associated mitigation for our area.