These are large plans and may be difficult to read. Plans are on display in the shop unit opposite Wilkos, Market Walk, Newton Abbot.
The engagement period for the Future High Street Fund has now ended and thank you for any comments you have made. Responses are now being considered and we will continue to work together if our bid is successful.
National Cycle Network improvements
- Modify crossing outside the rail station to accommodate both cyclists and pedestrians, paving the way for improved cycling options to link between the rail station, town centre and National Cycle Network (NCN)
- Improve the legibility of the NCN via clearer signage and surface markings, and address pinch points, to encourage greater levels of uptake of different types of user.
- Improve safety of junctions along NCN, notably at The Avenue/Cricketfield Road, and Victoria Gardens/Kingsteignton Road.
- Mark the current bus-layover area to show its permitted for use by both local bus and cyclists, at very low speeds.
- Increased cycle parking in the town area at key locations.
Benefits -Pedestrian and cycling improvements
- Improved journey ambience, more space for walking, greening and lower noise pollution from traffic - attributing to well-being.
- Reduced traffic on one way stretch of Queen Street and related reduction of greenhouse gases in direct vicinity.
- Reduced risk of road traffic collision (with other vehicle or pedestrian).
- Greater level of footfall in town, and greater uptake of cycling trips.
- Reduced rate of absenteeism due to all of the above.
- Strong public benefits calculated that are also linked to benefits for local businesses.