Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)

Show all parts of this guide

7. Your rights and access to your information

You have the right to request CCTV footage of yourself, if we hold it, but not of any third parties.

We may also refuse to provide footage to you if likely to prejudice:

  • the prevention and detection of crime;
  • apprehension and prosecution of offenders.

If you require CCTV footage of yourself that you believe may have been captured by cameras owned by the council, please contact the Data Protection Officer

To help us identify the footage you require, please ensure you provide the following identifying information, where applicable:

  • the date, time and precise location of the requested footage;
  • a description of yourself to locate footage of you;
  • any further descriptive details you feel are relevant to your application.

If you have been the victim of a crime, or it is a crime-related incident, you should report the matter to the police. The police can make a request direct to us to view our footage and, if held, it will be provided to the investigating officer.

Please be aware that while some of our cameras are fixed to a specific view, many of our cameras automatically rotate. This means that we may not have captured footage of an incident because the camera may be rotating to focus on a different area.

You may be invited to one of our offices to view the footage, if appropriate.

In addition, you also have the following rights:

  • to be provided with information about how your personal data is processed;
  • to have your personal data corrected;
  • to have your personal data erased in certain circumstances;
  • to object to or restrict how your personal data is processed;
  • to have your personal data transferred to yourself or to another business in certain circumstances;
  • you have the right to be told if we have made a mistake whilst processing your data and we will self-report breaches to the Information Commissioner.

Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer