Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Waste and recycling collections

We are currently experiencing delays on a number of refuse, recycling and garden waste rounds. If the whole street has been missed we will be aware and will return as soon as possible. Please leave the bins/containers out for collection.

Test and Trace Support Payment

If you have been told by the NHS Track and Trace to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to receive a single payment of £500 during your self-isolation period. This payment will not reduce the amount of any other benefit you get.

Claims will not be accepted without a valid NHS Test and Trace reference number, which you will be given when you follow the process through the Track and Trace app.

Am I eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment?

To be eligible for the support payment you must:

  • live in Teignbridge and have been told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate on or after 28 September 2020 and must have a valid NHS Test and Trace ID number
  • be employed or self-employed
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income-based Employment and Support Allowance, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit

You will also need to:

  • agree to self-isolate for the period required by NHS Test and Trace
  • provide a copy of the notification (text or e-mail) from NHS Test and Trace with your ID number confirming your isolation start date
  • provide proof of address, and bank statements
  • confirm receipt of one of the qualifying benefits listed above

This payment is designed to support people on low incomes, who will lose income as a result of self-isolating, and to encourage them to get tested if they have symptoms. This is important to help stop the transmission of COVID-19 and avoid further government restrictions. At the present time the Government has said this scheme will run until 30 September 2021.

Find out more about the details of the Test and Trace scheme.

A discretionary payment may be available, in exceptional circumstances, to an individual who meets the main qualifying criteria for the Test and Trace Support Payment (i.e. a low-income worker who is unable to work because they have been told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate) but who is not in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits and would suffer financial hardship as a result of not being able to work.

Find out more details of the discretionary payment scheme.

Parents or guardians of isolating children

Changes have been made to the rules from 8 March 2021. From that date you can claim if:

  • A child you are responsible for has been told to isolate because they are a close contact of a person who has tested positive AND
  • They normally attend an education or childcare setting AND
  • You are employed or self-employed AND
  • You are unable to work from home AND
  • You will lose income as a result of looking after them

You can claim from either the main scheme, if you receive a qualifying benefit, or the discretionary scheme if you will suffer financial hardship. Please read the rest of the details about these schemes to see if you are eligible before applying.

The change applies to instructions to isolate starting on or after 8 March 2021.

The new rules apply to children up to the age of 15 or between 16 and 25 if they have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC). The instruction to isolate can come from NHS Test & Trace or the childcare or education setting they attend.

Only one parent or guardian can claim for each period of isolation. If two children have overlapping periods then only one claim can be made. However if there are two separate periods (i.e. with at least a day between them) then a second claim can be made.

This change does not apply if the child has tested positive themselves. In that situation you would be their close contact and should have your own Test and Trace reference, allowing you to make your own claim.

If you have any queries please email us at

If you have any emergency needs while you are waiting to make a claim please see the information on our Covid-19 Hardship Fund page.

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate
  • are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace)
  • continue to receive your usual wage/salary while you self-isolate
  • can work from home during the period of self-isolation
  • are no longer required to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace and more than 28 days has elapsed since the period of self-isolation ended
  • you were told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace before 28 September 2020

Can I help someone else make an application, or make an application on their behalf?

You can help someone else fill out an application, or fill out an application on their behalf, but you cannot receive payments on behalf of someone else. Payments will only be made to the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

If I receive a support payment what am I required to do?

If you receive a self-isolation payment you must self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace.

Please visit the NHS Test and Trace website for more details of self-isolation requirements for those

  • testing positive and
  • those who have been in contact with someone who has tested positive and has now been told to self- isolate by NHS Test and Trace

Details of other support available to help you whilst you self-isolate.

Begin your application

Start the journey


More info about the journey

You will need the following information to complete this form:

  • your unique eight-digit NHS Test and Trace number – we cannot issue payment without this
  • proof of your NHS Test and Trace notification - this can be a photo or screenshot of any electronic communication (e.g. email) or scan of any letter, but it must clearly show the date you received the notification and the Test and Trace ID
  • proof of employment (e.g. recent payslip) or self-employment (e.g. most recent set of accounts or self-assessment return)
  • your National Insurance Number
  • a copy of your most recent bank statement -  this can be a photo or screenshot but must clearly show the name on the account, your sort code and account number. This will be the account into which the payment will be made if you are successful.

We will process your Test and Trace Support Payment claim as quickly as possible.

If we have any questions about the information you have provided we will contact you directly.

We will notify you by email of the outcome and if successful we will make the payment by BACS transfer to the account details you have provided.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 30 June 2021