2. The Council Strategy 2016 - 2025
Our ten-year council strategy is underway, and we are working to make Teignbridge an even better place to live, work, and visit for current and future generations.
We have a positive, clear direction for Teignbridge, and a good track record of implementing change and development. This strategy has been developed through listening to you and your needs, and through considering current and future challenges that we will face as a district.
From our research and consultation, we consider that our key objectives are:
- more affordable housing
- reducing carbon emissions
- job creation
- sustainable travel options
- community-led planning
- encouraging our young people to stay in the district
- keeping our district clean, green, and safe
At the heart of the strategy is a series of overarching projects – the Teignbridge Ten – that will guide our activities, where we focus our resources, and how we will shape resources to withstand future technological, economic, and social changes, and deliver real progress for the district.
They will help us to continue championing the district, our people, environment, business, and heritage, while meeting its rapidly changing needs.
The council strategy replaces the council plan, which ran between 2011 and 2015. The objectives of the plan were economic prosperity, quality environment, and wellbeing. The plan can also be viewed on the strategies, plans, and policies page, and there is a summary document available for the outcomes of the plan - Council Plan 2011 - 2015 Summary.
The council strategy document and the council plan report are available on our strategies, policies, and performance page, along with a review report on the outcomes of the plan.
The Teignbridge Ten
At the heart of our strategy are the Teignbridge Ten super-projects
These are ten connected areas of work, which will each have a widespread impact on the economy, community wellbeing, and the environment. The Teignbridge Ten will be the focus of our work over the next ten years. They have been designed to have a high impact on, and bring major benefits to, our seven key objectives.
Individually, each will make a significant difference to the area, but working together, they have the potential to bring multiple and combined benefits greater than their individual benefits.
The Teignbridge Ten super-projects are:
- A roof over our heads – to provide more, better, and affordable homes
- Clean scene – to keep the district clean
- Going to town – to invest in town centres
- Great places to live and work – to provide well-designed quality neighbourhoods
- Health at the heart – to improve health and wellbeing
- Investing in prosperity – to create jobs and wealth
- Moving up a gear – to improve travel options
- Out and about and active – to provide opportunities for healthy active lifestyles
- Strong communities – to liaise with, help, and support our communities
- Zero heroes – to reduce waste and carbon emissions