Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

How to complain about a Member of the Council

Show all parts of this guide

5. Step five – the decision about how to handle your complaint

After consulting the Independent Person, the Monitoring Officer will decide which option for handling your complaint is the most appropriate. 

Should the Monitoring Officer assess that the complaint may include criminal activity, they will consider a referral to the police or other external authority as appropriate. 

If it is assessed that such a referral is appropriate, the Monitoring Officer where possible will brief the Chair of the Standards Committee prior to the referral. 

This decision is based on the information provided and does not indicate any presumption that the matter will be found proven, or otherwise. 

If your complaint or aspects of it are referred to the Police for investigation the Monitoring Officer may adjourn this process and will notify you of this.