Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Members' allowances and expenses

Show all parts of this guide

1. Members' allowances

Each Councillor is allowed to claim an allowance to meet the basic costs of being a Councillor. For those who hold positions of additional responsibility there is a Special Responsibility Allowance (SRA) on top of the basic allowance.

The current Members' Allowances Scheme can be seen in Article 6 of the Council's Constitution. 

These allowances vary depending on the responsibility and additional work that accompanies that position. Mileage claims also vary.

It should be noted that allowances paid are based on the amounts recommended by the Independent Remuneration Panel.