Every autumn the Electoral Services department undertakes an annual canvass of all households within Teignbridge.
This year, the canvass begins on 1st August and will be completed on 30th November.
Household Enquiry Form
Each household receives a household enquiry form (HEF) addressed to the occupier. This form lists all those currently registered to vote at the address and asks the occupier to confirm if the details are unchanged. If no one is currently registered, the form will be blank. You can also use the HEF to make any changes such as:
- adding new electors,
- removing anyone who no longer lives at the property,
- amending minor spelling mistakes on the register,
- requesting to opt in or out of the open register,
- and requesting an application form to vote by post or proxy.
The aim of the form is to make sure that the electoral register is up to date and to identify any residents who are not registered so that they can be encouraged to do so.
You must respond to the HEF, even if the details in it are correct. The law requires us to follow up non responders to the HEF with reminders and a visit to the property concerned.
You can respond either by returning the HEF to electoral services or using one of the automated responses. Please respond using one of the following options:
- visit www.householdresponse.com/Teignbridge and enter part 1 and 2 of your security code,
- or, call 0800 197 9871 (Freephone) and when prompted enter part 1 and part 2 of your security code,
- or, text NOCHANGE followed by your security code to 80212.
Invitation to Register
If a new person is added to the Household Enquiry Form (HEF) they are then sent an Invitation to Register (ITR) to complete an application to register to vote; alternatively they can do this online by visiting www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.
Adding a person's name to the HEF does not mean they will be automatically added to the register, the person must complete an application to register to vote in order to be added to the register.
Once the canvass is completed, an updated Electoral Register is published on 1 December.