1. About electoral services
We play a key role in elections. We are responsible for organising and conducting elections, parish polls and referenda as and when required, which includes dealing with the following:
- nomination of candidates
- production of ballot papers
- sending of poll cards
- polling stations
- recruitment of polling station, postal vote and count staff
- issuing and opening of postal votes
- verifying and counting the votes
- maintaining electoral statistics
- registering people to vote inc. special category electors
- conducting the annual canvass of electors
- production and distribution of the register of electors
- boundary reviews and the implementation of boundary changes
- implementation of new legislation within statutory timescales
The district is divided into 24 district wards returning 47 District Councillors.
Teignbridge consists of 50 parishes. 43 of these are represented by Town and Parish Councils returning 407 Parish Councillors while the remaining 7 are represented by Parish Meetings.
Teignbridge District is then divided into 91 polling districts which are currently split between 2 parliamentary constituencies, Newton Abbot and Central Devon.