1. About electoral services
The electoral services team is responsible for organising the delivery of elections, polls and referenda across Teignbridge, both at local and national levels. We also create and maintain the Register of Electors (electoral roll).
Our work includes:
- registering people to vote (including special category electors)
- processing absent vote applications
- compiling, publishing and distributing the register of electors
- conducting an annual household canvass
- boundary reviews and implementing boundary changes
- implementing new legislation within statutory timescales
- dealing with nomination of candidates
- producing ballot papers
- sending poll cards
- organising polling stations
- recruiting election staff
- issuing and opening postal ballots
- verifying and counting the votes
The district of Teignbridge is currently divided into 91 polling districts, which are used as the building blocks to create the various ward, division and constituency boundaries.
Within Teignbridge there are:
- 50 parishes – 43 of these are represented by Town and Parish Councils returning 407 parish councillors, while the remaining 7 are represented by Parish Meetings.
- 24 district wards returning 47 district councillors.
- 10 Devon County Council divisions returning 10 county councillors.
- 2 parliamentary constituencies – Newton Abbot and part of Central Devon, each returning 1 Member of Parliament.
- At Police and Crime Commissioner elections Teignbridge forms part of the Devon and Cornwall Police Area.