Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Waste and recycling collections

We are currently experiencing delays on a number of refuse, recycling and garden waste rounds. If the whole street has been missed we will be aware and will return as soon as possible. Please leave the bins/containers out for collection.

Electoral services

Show all parts of this guide

2. Register to vote

Individual Electoral Registration

The electoral registration system has changed. Instead of one person in every household being responsible for registering everyone who lives at that address, it is now down to each individual to register themselves. This is called Individual Electoral Registration or IER:

  • every individual will be responsible for their own registration.
  • you will need to provide 'identifying information' in order to register to vote - your National Insurance number and your date of birth.


Why should I register to vote?

You cannot vote in UK elections if you are not registered to vote. You may also experience difficulties when applying for a mortgage or other forms of credit, including opening bank accounts and applying for a mobile phone contract. Credit reference agencies use the electoral register when assessing a persons credit worthiness.

You only need to register if you are not already registered.

Who can register to vote?

  • anyone aged 16 or over (but you cannot vote until you are 18);
  • British or qualifying Commonwealth citizens. This means Commonwealth citizens who have permission to remain in the UK or do not require such permission; and
  • Citizens of the Republic of Ireland or other European Union (EU) member states.

Citizens of EU countries other than the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta can't vote in UK Parliamentary General Elections, but can vote at local government elections. They can also vote at European Parliamentary elections if they fill in a form stating that they wish to vote in the UK and not in their home country.

You can also use this service to inform us if:

  • you've changed your name;
  • your name is spelt incorrectly on the electoral register; or
  • you've moved house.

To register, please visit the register to vote website