Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Waste and recycling collections

Some rounds are currently running behind schedule. Please leave your containers out and we will return as soon as we can. 

£150 Council Tax Energy Rebate

Show all parts of this guide

1. Information about the £150 Council Tax Rebate

The Government has announced that people living in households with Council Tax bands A to D are likely to receive a £150 council tax rebate to help with the cost of living and rising fuel costs.

Who is eligible for the Energy Payment

Households in Council Tax bands A to D and those in band E who receive Disablement Reduction, may receive one payment of the £150 council tax rebate, this payment is intended to support all occupants of the property.

If you are unsure of your Council Tax band, check your council tax band via your printed council tax bill or online, or contact us.

If you wish to review your Council Tax band, then the Valuation Office has issued guidance on challenging your band which explains what you need to do.

Post Office Voucher's - If you have made an application to receive your Energy Rebate via the Post Office voucher, we will be passing your information to the Post Office who will contact you directly.

What if my household isn’t eligible

Councils have received an extra £144 million to provide support to vulnerable households who may not qualify for the £150 council tax rebate.

We will be launching shortly a discretionary scheme to support residents in council tax bands E-H who receive Council Tax Reduction and certain residents who do not pay council tax but who are directly responsible for payment of energy bills.  

We will publish the details and eligibility criteria on our website in the next couple of weeks.  We will write to Teignbridge households who we think will be eligible for this support so we ask residents in these categories not to divert the team from processing payments by calling us. 

How will my household get £150

  • The majority of households who had a successful collection of either their April or May Direct Debit instalment, were paid by an automated payment.
  • We have completed our bulk automated payments and over 32,000 rebate payments have been paid direct to customers bank accounts.

All eligible households in Band A-D (not included in the bulk payments), have been written to.

If you have not received an invite, but feel you are entitled, please complete one of our online application forms, choosing whether to have the rebate paid directly to your bank account, against your Council Tax account, or by collecting cash from the Post Office. Anyone unable to apply online can ring Customer Support on 01626 361101 for assistance. 


We are not offering the option to refuse the payment if you are assessed as eligible.

The rebate is not a loan and will not need to be repaid, unless you notify us that you do not meet the criteria or we identify something our end that determines you are not eligible as of 1 April 2022. In this instance we will contact you with an explanation of why you are not eligible and how we will need to recover the payment.

If you do not believe that you meet the eligibility criteria, please contact the Council Tax team detailing why you think you should not receive the payment.

Council Tax Rebate Scams

We are aware there have been reports of council tax scams in relation to the £150 council tax energy rebate.

If you receive a phone call asking for your bank details in exchange for the £150 rebate, please do not pass these on. Report scam text messages by forwarding them to 7726 for free or contact Action Fraud.

What to do if you are overdrawn or have an overdraft

If your account is overdrawn, you may need to instruct your bank that you will be receiving a payment that should not be used towards your overdraft. If your account is overdrawn or you have an overdraft, you have the right of 'appropriation' to stop the payment being used against it. To do this you will need to put this in writing to your bank, informing them that you wish to use the rebate to pay certain bills, more information and a template to help you contact your bank, is available at