Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Support for Energy Prices

Show all parts of this guide

1. Information about the £150 Council Tax Rebate

The Government has announced that people living in households with Council Tax bands A to D are likely to receive a £150 council tax rebate to help with the cost of living and rising fuel costs.

Who is eligible for the Council Tax Energy Payment

Households in Council Tax bands A-D and those in Band E who receive Disablement Reduction, may receive one payment of the £150 council tax rebate.

If you are unsure of your Council Tax band, check your council tax band via your printed council tax bill or online, or contact us.

If you wish to review your Council Tax band, then the Valuation Office has issued guidance on challenging your band which explains what you need to do.

What if my household isn’t eligible

Councils will receive an extra £144 million to provide support to vulnerable households who may not qualify for the £150 council tax rebate.

This includes people on low incomes in council tax bands E-H.

This discretionary scheme is currently being developed and more information will be added to this page to explain the application process and entitlement criteria, once the scheme is finalised.

How will my household get £150

If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit:

  • The majority of households who have a successful collection of either their 1 April, 15 April, 1 May or 15 May instalment, can expect to receive an automated payment.
  • We started making payments at the end of April, and so far over 31,000 rebate payments have been paid direct to customers bank accounts. We expect to complete all payments for the direct debit dates shown above by the end of May.
  • If you haven't received a payment, there is no need to contact us, we will contact you with details on how to apply for your rebate.
  • It is too late now to set up a Direct Debit with the aim to receive an automated payment.

In some cases automated payments won’t be possible and we will need you to complete an application form. This will enable us to confirm a few details to ensure we are making payments correctly. You do not need to contact us, we will write to you.

Cases where automated payment may not be possible include, but are not limited to:

  • Your Direct Debit was unsuccessful.
  • We may not hold the correct bank details for you.
  • You have recently informed us of a change in circumstance.
  • We need to manually check that you are still eligible for the payment as of the 1 April 2022.
  • We need to update/confirm your bank account details.

This could be because you:

  • Recently sent us new bank details
  • We need to do a manual security check
  • Your Council Tax is being paid by a third party or business account

In all of the above cases – as long as your meet the eligibility criteria, we will write to you and invite you to make an online application. You do not need to contact us.


We are not offering the option to refuse the payment if you are assessed as eligible.

The rebate is not a loan and will not need to be repaid, unless you notify us that you do not meet the criteria or we identify something our end that determines you are not eligible as of 1 April 2022. In this instance we will contact you with an explanation of why you are not eligible and how we will need to recover the payment.

If you do not believe that you meet the eligibility criteria, please contact the Council Tax team detailing why you think you should not receive the payment.

If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit

  • An application form will be available for you to apply for the rebate.
  • We will write to eligible households as soon as the form is available.

What to do if you are overdrawn or have an overdraft

If your account is overdrawn, you may need to instruct your bank that you will be receiving a payment that should not be used towards your overdraft. If your account is overdrawn or you have an overdraft, you have the right of 'appropriation' to stop the payment being used against it. To do this you will need to put this in writing to your bank, informing them that you wish to use the rebate to pay certain bills, more information and a template to help you contact your bank, is available at