Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Overpaid Council Tax and Refunds

Usually your council tax bill will show what you are required to pay.

However, in certain circumstances you may receive a council tax bill showing that your account is in credit, meaning that you have overpaid and are possibly due a refund.

There are many reasons why you could be in credit, such as moving to a smaller property, or receiving a discount or council tax reduction that means the amount you have already paid is enough to more than cover what you need to pay for the year. Alternatively you may have simply paid too much.

If we have told you that your account is in credit, and you don’t have any other outstanding bills owing to us, you can apply to have this money refunded to you by completing this form.

Start the journey


More info about the journey

To request a refund you will need your Council Tax reference number and your bank details.

Once your request has been reviewed, if the refund can be processed you will usually receive the money within 14 days.

If you unable to access the form please contact us 01626 361101. Monday - Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Fridays 8.30am to 4.30pm.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 4 April 2023