Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Website downtime

Due to maintenance our website will be unavailable on Thursday 22 February from 6pm - 9pm. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

What happens if you don't pay your council tax?

Show all parts of this guide

10. Enforcement agents

We can instruct an enforcement agent to collect an unpaid council tax debt from you if a liability order has been issued in your name and:

  • You have not completed an income and expenditure form.
  • You have not made/ do not have an agreed repayment plan in place.
  • You have made an agreed repayment plan but not kept to it.

Before we pass on your council tax debt to an enforcement agent, we will send you a letter informing you of the costs that they can charge you. Once the enforcement agent has been instructed, you will have to deal with directly with them. We will not intervene or be involved again for that period of council tax debt.

We currently only use the following enforcement agents to act on our behalf to collect council tax debts following the issue of a liability order:

Bristow & Sutor, Bartfleet Road, Redditch, Worcestershire B98 0FL Tel: 0330 390 2010

Dukes, Dukes Court, 7 Newcastle St, Stone, Staffordshire, ST15 8JT Tel: 01785 825 500. Auto Payment Line 01302 513 291

Jacobs. 6 Europa Boulevard, Birkenhead, Wirral, CH41 4PE, Tel: 0151 650 4800, or local rate 0345 601 2692 

Ross & Roberts. PO Box 23 Somerton, Somerset, TA11 7YU Tel: 01458 550 480.

Rossendales. PO Box 324, Rossendale, BB4 0GE, Tel: 0844 701 3980.

These are the stages that the Enforcement Agents will follow:

Compliance stage

If we pass your council tax debt to an enforcement agent to recover, you will have to pay an additional fixed fee of £75 which is legally due. This will apply to each liability order we send them. The enforcement agent will send you a Notice of Enforcement (this is a statutory letter) and you will have seven days to pay in full. Please respond immediately. If you are unable to pay in full, the enforcement agent may agree for the debt to be repaid by instalments. Any payments or offers of payment should be made directly to the enforcement agent (not us).

In addition to the Notice of Enforcement, the Enforcement Agent may also contact you by email, text, letter or phone. It is important that you do not ignore these. If your debt escalates to Enforcement Stage an enforcement agent will come out to visit you.

You risk having your belongings and goods being seized and incurring additional costs if this happens.

Enforcement stage

When an enforcement agent visits, you will have to pay a further fixed fee of £235 plus 7.5% for any balance due over £1,500. If you pay in full at this stage, you will still have to pay all of the costs. This will be at least £310 (£235 plus £75).

If you are unable to pay in full, the Enforcement Agent can either take control of your goods or enter into an acceptable agreement for you to repay the money owed – including their costs. This means they will make a list of your goods that can cover the full amount of your debt. If your goods are included on a Controlled Goods Agreement you cannot dispose of or sell them without the Enforcement Agents permission.

There are certain goods that are exempt from being included on a controlled goods agreement. For example:

  • Items necessary for the basic domestic needs of the debtor and members of the debtor’s household.
  • Items or equipment which are necessary for use personally by the debtor or in the debtor's employment, business, trade or study, up to the value of £1,350. Above this then the exemption does not apply.

Sale or disposal stage

If you:

  • Refuse to sign the Controlled Goods Agreement the Enforcement Agent can take your goods whilst he/she is at your property.
  • Do not pay as agreed and you have signed a Controlled Goods Agreement, the Enforcement Agent may enter your property, by force if necessary, to take the goods listed.

Either of these will mean you will be charged a fixed fee of £110 plus 7.5% of any balance due. You may also have to pay additional costs for the sale of your goods.

It is an offence to stop an Enforcement Agent from carrying out his duties.

If the Enforcement Agent cannot collect the council tax, the debt will be returned to us to consider other recovery options. These may include bankruptcy, committal to prison or a charging order against your property.

Complaints about Enforcement Agents

Please direct any complaints firstly to the Enforcement Agent. If you are dissatisfied with their response, then please email us and we will deal with your complaint in line with our complaints procedure.