Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Council Tax reduction

Show all parts of this guide

1. What help is available?

Council Tax Reduction is available for people on a low income to help reduce their Council Tax liability.

If you are of pension age, Council Tax Reduction is worked out using a government set means tested scheme.

You can check your pension age using Check your state pension age.

Since 1 April 2020, we have used an Income Banded Council Tax Reduction Scheme for working age people.

Household income and size are used to work out a discount on your Council Tax charge.

You must be liable to pay Council Tax to apply for a Council Tax Reduction.

You can view our Vulnerability Statement on Vulnerability and Incentivising Work. 

If you/your partner are self-employed the income we use to calculate your entitlement might be different from your accounting figures. This is because our Council Tax reduction scheme includes a minimum income floor.