Council tax support

Show all parts of this guide

3. Apply for Council Tax Support

To claim Council Tax Support you must complete the online application form.

If you receive Universal Credit it does not include help with council tax so you must also claim council tax support. 

Your claim will normally start from the Monday after your claim is received so it is important that you do not delay if you want to claim.

You can start to make your claim even if you do not have all of the information. Save the partially completed form and return later to complete it.

We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected by adhering to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). More detail is available on how we collect and use information, you can also view our privacy policy.

We use automated decision making in relation to risk based verification for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support where an algorithm is used to group applications by risk level. The final decision regarding payment of the claim is always made by an officer of the council.

We also use information received from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), in relation to changes to DWP benefits in payment or just awarded, which can automatically amend claimants entitlement.

Use the 'Start' button to make a new application or you can return to a previously saved form.


Start the journey


More info about the journey

To complete the form you will need the following information:

• name, date of birth and national insurance number
• address and post code
• details of earnings, including how much tax, national insurance and pension contributions are paid
• details of non earned income and benefits
• details of childcare costs
• details of all savings, investments, bank and building society accounts

You can start to make your claim even if you do not have all of the information. Save the partially completed from and return later to complete it.


Having completed the application you will receive a checklist which will tell you if you need to complete any other forms (eg. self employed earnings), or supply evidence. The additional forms are available here. Your claim will be assessed and you will be contacted in due course.