As a major employer and provider of services we use a lot of the Earth’s natural resources.
As a large organisation it is important we reduce our environmental impact. We will take a lead with our own waste management by re-using and re-cycling more, reducing our energy consumption, and encouraging working practices that reduce our environmental footprint. We will use our successes to encourage local people and businesses to move in the same direction.
As a community leader, we will lead by example and reduce its organisational environmental impact. This will have a positive impact on our local environment, reduce our costs and provide leadership for our residents and businesses who are also improving their environmental impact.
Energy and Carbon Reduction Plan
Our first Carbon Management Action Plan was produced in 2007 and covers the period from 2007 until 2012. We now have an Energy and Carbon Reduction Plan, approved by the Carbon Trust, to take us from 2012 to 2017. The new plan gives a target of 20% reduction in carbon emissions by 2017 from the 2010 - 2011 level. The plan has been approved by the council, and many of the projects have been completed.
Within our ten year strategy there is a programme of work that focuses on our environmental impact as an organisation. The key actions are:
- monitor energy consumption from council buildings and estates and develop projects to further reduce our consumption and spend on utilities
- use renewable energy and more energy efficient equipment in our buildings
- reduce waste and recycle more from our own operations and buildings
- use technology to reduce the miles travelled by our workforce
- examine the potential for electric vehicles for the council
- promote work on reducing our environmental impact to encourage others to do the same
For further details visit council strategy.