Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Waste and recycling collections

Due to the recent bank holiday there will be a delay to our waste and recycling collections.

Public health funerals

When we can arrange a funeral

Where we are told when people have died with no next of kin or where there may not be enough funds to carry out a funeral service, we may be asked to arrange the funeral.

It is our duty, under the Public Health Control of Disease Act 1984 section 46(i), to arrange a burial or a cremation for a person who has died within our area where no suitable funeral arrangements have been, or are being, made.

We are then entitled to recover the funeral costs from the estate of the deceased, in the form of a civil debt recoverable within three years.

In cases where there are assets that exceed the cost of the funeral, and where there are no other bills outstanding, any money left will go to the Estates Group within the Bona Vacantia (small receipts) Division of the Treasury Solicitor, in accordance with the rules set down by the Secretary of State.

We will not become involved if any funeral arrangements have already been made or the funeral has already taken place. The council will not part-fund a funeral or contribute to the cost of a funeral which has already been organised by someone else.

When we will not get involved

The council will not undertake funeral arrangements if the deceased died in hospital or in an ambulance on the way to hospital. Under these circumstances the hospital authorities will take responsibility.

We will not normally undertake funeral arrangements if the next of kin were in receipt of benefits, as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will pay.

Getting help to pay for a funeral

Visit or call 0800 731 0469. 


When this content has been updated

Last updated 22 December 2020