Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Noise nuisance

Noise affects people in different ways. Any noise which is loud or obtrusive enough to affect someone else's enjoyment of their property can be a nuisance.

Please be considerate when playing music etc or other activities that might give rise to noise nuisance.

We have a duty to investigate complaints of noise nuisance. If we have evidence that you are causing a statutory nuisance, a legal notice may be served on you under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

If you carry on in breach of this notice you can be taken to court and be subject to an unlimited fine. We can also consider confiscating any equipment that is causing a nuisance.

Types of noise we will investigate

  • noisy neighbours
  • persistent barking dogs
  • outdoor events
  • commercial property noise
  • building work including domestic DIY at unreasonable times
  • intruder alarms

Types of noise we cannot investigate

  • noise in relation to general day to day living eg. footsteps and talking
  • noise from children playing
  • noise from road traffic
  • aircraft noise
  • railway noise
  • Ministry of Defence activities

Start the journey


More info about the journey

  • your name, address and a contact telephone number
  • accurate details of the source of the problem before we can start an investigation

All complainants' personal details will be treated confidentially, however should the case go to court then your names would have to be released. You would have an opportunity to discuss this with the case officer before the details were released.

Anonymous complaints will not normally be investigated.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 28 March 2024