Cookies and privacy

Show all parts of this guide

3. Electoral Services privacy statement

In Electoral Services we have a legal duty to keep and process your information in accordance with the law.

We use information about Teignbridge residents to enable us to carry out specific functions for which we are responsible in order to provide you with a statutory service.

We keep records about potential and current electors, candidates and their agents, staff employed at an election and the people we need to pay. These may be written down (manual records), or kept on a computer (electronic or digital records).

These details may include:

  • basic details about you, for example, name, address, date of birth and nationality 
  • unique identifiers such as your National Insurance number
  • scanned application forms and dates of any letters of correspondence
  • notes on any relevant circumstances you have told us about
  • details and records about the services you have received
  • your previous or any redirected address
  • other occupants living in your home
  • if you are over 76 or are 16/17
  • whether you have chosen to opt out of the Open version of the Register

Your records are used to help ensure that we provide you with the service you need. We will, based on your age and nationality, include your name on the Electoral Register so that you are able to vote by your chosen method.

The Electoral Register is a public document which can be viewed only in our main reception at Forde House and it is viewed under supervision.

If you do not provide us with the information we need to process your application then you will not be able to vote and you may be breaking the law.

The Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer are obliged to process your personal data in relation to preparing for and conducting elections. Your details will be kept and updated in accordance with our legal obligations and in line with statutory retention periods.

There are occasions when your information needs to be shared and these include:

  • with our contracted printers in order to print your poll cards, postal packs and other election material 
  • with registered political parties, elected representatives, candidates, agents and other permitted participants who may use it for electoral purposes only 
  • with credit reference agencies, the British Library, UK Statistics Authority, the Electoral Commission and other statutory recipients of the Electoral Register
  • details of whether you have voted (but not how you have voted) with those who are entitled by law to receive this information after an election
  • where the health and safety of others is at risk
  • when the law requires us to pass on information under special circumstances
  • for the purposes of crime prevention or the detection of fraud as part of the National Fraud Initiative 

We are required by law to report certain information to appropriate authorities, for example:

  • where a formal court order has been issued 
  • to law enforcement agencies for the prevention or detection of a crime
  • to the Jury Central Summoning Bureau indicating those persons who are aged 76 or over and no longer eligible for jury service

The process of checking citizens’ personal identifiers, i.e. date of birth and National Insurance number, to ensure eligibility for inclusion in the Electoral Register is controlled by the Cabinet Officer via the government’s Individual Electoral Registration Digital Service (IERDS). This includes:

  • the Department for Work and Pensions who use data provided to verify the identity of new applicants
  • the Cabinet Office will inform the old local authority of people who have moved to another area 

As part of the process your data will be shared with the Department for Work and Pensions and the Cabinet Office suppliers that are data processors for the IERDS. You can find more information about this here:

Information will be processed within the EEA and will not be shared with overseas recipients.

If your details are in the Open version of the Electoral Register, your name and address can be sold to third parties who may use it for any purpose. You can opt out of this version of the Register at any time and you are given the opportunity each year as part of the annual canvass of all households.

You have the right to opt out of the Open version of the Register at any time and we must remove you from this version and tell the statutory recipients of the Register in the next update.

The Data Protection Act 2018 allows you to find out what information is held about you on paper and computer records. This is known as a 'Subject Access Request (or SARs)' and applies to your electoral services records along with other personal records.

If you wish to see a copy of your records you should contact the council's Data Protection Officer. You are entitled to receive a copy of your records free of charge, within a month.

In certain circumstances access to your records may be limited, for example, if the records you have asked for contain information concerning another person.

The Data Protection Act 2018 allows you other rights too; for example, if there is an error in your records you have the right to make sure it is rectified or erased.

You have a right to be told if we have made a mistake whilst processing your data and we will self-report breaches to the Commissioner.