Rate This Page

Did you find this page useful?

Very Useful Quite Useful
Not at all

text size
- +


translate this site into different languages

Holiday Let Safety

Anyone who rents a property out to holidaymakers needs to ensure that it is safe and well maintained.


A landlord is anyone who rents out a property they own under a lease or a licence that is shorter than seven years. This includes rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and boats on inland waterways.

Landlords of holiday lets must comply with Health and Safety Legislation however, any guest who stays in your accommodation still has responsibility for their own health and safety.

Below are the main hazard topics relevant to holiday letting:

Carbon monoxide (CO)

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless and odourless gas which is difficult to detect, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.

To reduce the risk of CO poisoning, you should ensure that all fuel burning appliances including gas boilers, gas cookers, solid fuel boilers and cookers and wood burning stoves are installed and regularly maintained by a suitably qualified engineer. You should also ensure that rooms are well ventilated when an appliance is used and fit a suitable CO alarm.

Gas safety

As a landlord, you must make sure that all gas appliances are regularly tested to ensure they are safe and comply with the relevant regulations. Gas appliances must be installed by - and have an annual safety check carried out by - someone who is registered with the Gas Safe Register. You must ensure a record of the safety checks is kept and issued to you within 28 days of each annual check.

Gas safety - landlords and letting agents

Electrical safety

By law, a landlord must ensure that the electrical system and any electrical appliances supplied with the let such as cookers, kettles, toasters, washing machines and immersion heaters are regularly tested and safe to use.

Drinking Water safety

If your property receives water from a private supply rather than mains water you will need to have it checked by the Environmental Control Team. Please email at envc@teignbridge.gov.uk for further information.

Swimming Pool Safety

Holiday let owners who provide a swimming pool facility must ensure they have controls in place to reduce the risk of an accident occurring. 

To assist swimming pool holiday let owners please refer to the pdf icon Swimming Pool Safety Checklist [9kb] and the pdf icon Swimming Pool Safety Q&A's [53kb].

Risk Assessment

Risk Assessment identifies any hazards that need to be controlled to protect the safety of holiday let occupiers. It is advised that landlords complete a Risk Assessment for the hazards identified.


RIDDOR - Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 places a duty on employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises (the Responsible Person) to report certain serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences (near misses).


COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) is the law that requires employers to control any substances that can harm the health of people.

Legionella and Legionnaires Disease

If you are an employer, or someone in control of premises, including landlords, you must understand the health risks associated with Legionella and Legionnaires Disease and put in place control to reduce the risk of harm to human health.