Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Waste and recycling collections

Some rounds are currently running behind schedule. Please leave your containers out and we will return as soon as we can. 

Care leavers

Show all parts of this guide

7. Money advice for young people

The amount you will receive, the types of benefits and grants and how to apply will vary depending on whether you are an:

  • eligible Care Leaver
  • relevant Care Leaver
  • former Relevant Child

For full information on all the financial options available please visit the Stand Up Speak Up (SUSU) website.

If you are about to move into your own accommodation or are planning to do so, you may receive financial assistance to help you move. This money could be used for rent in advance, deposit and furniture to help get you set up in your new home.

You will need to speak to your Personal Advisor (PA) to assess how much you may receive and how to apply for this. You will only receive this funding once, so if you are moving into semi-independent living such as supported accommodation, you may wish to wait until you move into a more permanent home before applying for this funding. 

You will have a Personal Occupation Progression Plan (POPP) as part of your Pathway Plan. This will focus on your education and training needs.

If you are in education, or returning to education you should receive a 16-19 bursary if you are in full-time education.

Your PA will continue to support you until you are 25 if you remain in education or training.

For further information on financial support available whilst in education please visit the Government website.