Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Waste and recycling collections

Some rounds are currently running behind schedule. Please leave your containers out and we will return as soon as we can. 

Care leavers

Show all parts of this guide

2. Personal advisor and pathway plan

Your Personal Advisor (PA) will support you as you move to adulthood and independence. They can help you to access specialist support when you need it, including counselling, advice on issues such as drugs and alcohol, sexual health, benefits, financial support and housing options.

Once you turn 18 your social worker will stop working with you and your PA will become your main worker, giving you support until you turn 21 or up to 25 if you are in full time education or training.

A PA is there to help support you on your journey into independence. Here are some of the important things that your personal advisor will be able to help you with:

  • helping you look at your housing options 
  • attending college and university open days and interviews with you
  • helping you to pursue interests and hobbies
  • helping with budgeting, money matters and making benefit claims
  • agreeing how much and what type of support you think you’ll need

Up until your 16th birthday, whilst you have been in care you will have been given Care Plans, detailing the support you need and how this is to be provided. When you turn 16 these will stop and you will get a Pathway Plan.

This is a document that is written by you and your social worker or PA that you will review and refresh every six months. The pathway plan looks at all of your goals for now and the future and helps figure out what is needed to help you achieve them.

This will include:

  • education, training and employment
  • health and self care
  • emotions and behaviours
  • accommodation and finances
  • family & social relationships