Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Former armed forces personnel

Show all parts of this guide

5. Ex-forces and single, homeless and on the streets

Some single homeless people may not qualify for temporary accommodation, and may need additional support to secure and maintain accommodation in the longer term. We are committed to finding housing for anyone who is rough sleeping.

There are a range of services for people who find themselves homeless and on the streets, for example:

  • our outreach service go out every week looking for and engaging with rough sleepers to find solutions to their housing needs.
  • STAR – This is a project run by Teignbridge District Council to provide housing for the most vulnerable people with complex needs who are rough sleeping or at significant risk of rough sleeping. For more information on this project and to see if you may be eligible to apply, please contact our Housing Options Team
  • referrals to supported accommodation such as Gabriel House in Exeter can be made via our Housing Options Team
  • food banks provide food and emergency supplies for those in crisis and who do not have enough money to buy food or other essentials.
  • The Royal British Legion might be able to help with a rent deposit, they also provide a wide range of services tailored to ex-service personnel and their families
  • SSAFA provide housing advice to people currently serving in the forces and ex services personnel and their families.
  • The Warrior Programme offers local intensive personal development programme, with ongoing support for a minimum of 12 months, for Veterans, Veterans' families and families of Serving Personnel. The programme builds resilience and improves the ability to manage emotions leaving the individuals energised, motivated and focused to achieve their goals