Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Former armed forces personnel

Show all parts of this guide

6. Further housing support and advice by Veterans' Housing Advice

Veterans' Housing Advice is a service which provides clear pathways for ex-Service personnel in housing need throughout the United Kingdom to move into permanent homes.

It is provided in partnership with The Royal British LegionShelter and Connect Assist. Its main aim is to make accessing the services of charities easier through a telephone helpline open seven days a week from 8am-8pm.

It can, for example, provide financial support to pay for a deposit, rent in advance and essential items for a new home.

Services provided include

  • supported accommodation - providing temporary accommodation for veterans, with support.
  • long term housing - providing settled accommodation for veterans, with or without support.
  • general needs - unsupported housing for members of the ex-Service community unable to buy or rent on the open market. Tenants will usually be self-sufficient, but may need to avail themselves of some of the floating support listed. Some adapted properties may be available or adaptations arranged as necessary.
  • floating support - Services delivered by visiting workers to people in their own homes to help people maintain their settled accommodation.
  • outreach services - Covering work with rough sleepers or people in temporary accommodation to help them access more settled accommodation and any support needs.
  • day centres - The provision of activities and support to homeless and vulnerably housed people. (drop-in facilities)
  • debt and money advice for the most vulnerable ex forces people
  • in some instances, financial and advocacy support if you are at risk of homelessness such as Combat Stress
  • support to access other services such as Combat Stress