1. Leaving hospital
Being admitted to hospital can be daunting and a cause of worry and confusion for patients, carers and families alike. For some patients, there is the added worry of having somewhere safe to return to when they leave hospital. Problems around housing and homelessness are challenging at any time, but resolving these whilst an in-patient is especially difficult.
Each local hospital will assess your medical needs and your care for discharge prior to you leaving. It is important to let them know if you are already homeless or feel that your current home is not suitable for you to return to even if you are not yet ready for discharge.
If anyone you care about is worried about their housing, or if you are a patient concerned about where you will go when discharged from hospital, please raise it with a member of staff at the hospital as soon as possible
The hospital will complete an assessment with you and look at the options available. This may include:
- social care assessment and/or occupation health assessment to determine what you need once you are ready to be discharged from hospital
- care package to help you when you return home
- further rehabilitation options if required to improve your condition so you can be fit to return home
- liaising with friends or family so you can stay with them until you are ready to return home
- adaptations or Disabled Facilities Grants to make your home suitable for your needs so you can return home
- referrals to Extra Care Housing Schemes locally through Devon Home Choice
- support to apply for Devon Home Choice
- support to apply as homeless to the local authority if there are no options for you to return home
You can also contact your local housing options team directly. It will be helpful if you are able to provide a copy your medical conditions and any reports or care plans you have been issued so we can assess what options may be available to you.
If you are being treated in any other hospital but want to seek advice and support to return or move to an area in Teignbridge you can still get help.