Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Mental health

Show all parts of this guide

3. Maintaining your current accommodation

If you are experiencing difficulties maintaining your current home due to mental ill health, let your support workers or GP know. If you do not have an allocated worker, or are not under the mental health team for support, you can contact the Housing Options Team for further advice and support. Whilst we cannot provide medical advice or help for your mental health, we can offer advice and assistance, referrals to other agencies and signpost you to the best services locally to help you.

This might include:

  • Depression and Anxiety Service (you can refer yourself to this service directly)
  • support for hoarding
  • floating tenancy support if you are struggling to deal with your own benefits or attending essential appointments on your own
  • referrals for debt and money advice if you are struggling with your bills, no longer maintaining payment plans or are struggling to contact your creditors yourself due to your mental health
  • liaising with Housing Benefits and other welfare benefit agencies with you to help get your benefits reinstated or claimed for the first time
  • referring you for additional support to claim Personal Independence Payments if you have already applied but were unsuccessful and you wish to appeal
  • support with dealing with your landlord if you are being asked to leave or you are at risk of becoming homeless because you are struggling to manage you tenancy satisfactorily

If you are a friend or family member of someone you are concerned about. You can call us for general advice and options available.