Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Adapting your home

If you, or someone who lives with you, is disabled, you may be able to get help to make life easier and safer.

By answering a few questions about your current situation, you can find out about equipment, services and support to help you live independently. Don’t worry, you will not be asked your name, or address and none of the information you give will be kept.

Self-help tool to find local services and support

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you need to adapt your home to allow you to live independently and safely, you may be able to get help with a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). This grant is means-tested, which means that if you can afford to do the work yourself, you will not qualify for a grant. Those that can apply include:

  • homeowners or tenants. Landlords can also apply on behalf of their tenants
  • tenants must have permission from the owner of the property

You will need an assessment from an occupational therapist and they may recommend certain adaptations that could benefit you.

Please contact Care Direct to arrange for an Occupational Therapist (OT) to visit you.

Typical adaptations can include:

  • external ramps, or internal stair lifts helping you move more easily into and around your home
  • a level entry shower if you can't use the bath safely
  • providing lower level kitchen worktops for wheelchair users

Minor adaptations such as hand rails etc. are carried out directly through Care Direct.

Repaying the grant

In some instances you may need to repay the costs of the grant. This applies to home owners if you choose to sell your property.

If you are a disabled tenant or a landlord with a disabled tenant there is not usually any requirement for you to repay the grant.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 7 July 2022