Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Energy savings for landlords

Show all parts of this guide

4. Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard

From April 2018, landlords of privately rented property must ensure that their properties have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of minimum E before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.


The government has published full guidance for landlords of domestic property of exemptions, Guidance on PRS exemptions and evidence requirement 

This includes a "High Cost Exemption" where the prohibition of letting a property below an EPC rating of E does not apply if the cost of the making even the cheapest recommended improvement would exceed £3,500 (including VAT)

Funding may be available from the Council to assist with works to improve the energy efficiency of the property. For more information please visit Energy savings for landlords.

Listed Buildings

MEES also applies to listed buildings, but it does not remove the need to get listed building consent before starting any work.

Listed building consent is needed for internal as well as external alterations, including replacement windows / doors, double glazing and solid wall insulation.

Owners should contact the Council’s Conservation Officer who will advise whether listed building consent would be granted for the recommended works based upon whether the character or appearance of the property would be unacceptably altered.

If listed building consent would not be granted, an exemption can be registered.

 To register an exemption please visit National PRS Exemptions Register

Penalties for non-compliance

The Council can issue fines of up to £5,000 for landlords who do not comply with the regulations, including failing to properly register an exemption.

Further Information

The government has published full guidance for landlords of domestic property: The Domestic Private Rented Property minimum standard.