Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Mutual exchange

It is possible to swap your home with another social tenant provided that both tenants and landlords (Housing Associations or Local Councils) agree. This is called a Mutual Exchange. Both tenants need to submit a request to exchange to their landlords for an exchange proposal to be assessed. The process normally takes about 6 to 8 weeks. You must not move into the exchange property before it has been agreed. The Housing Association or local Council that owns the property may:

  • conduct an inspection of your home
  • request references in relation to the conduct of your tenancy
  • request any rent arrears are paid in full before an exchange is granted
  • ensure that the person/family moving into their tenancy can afford the rental costs

To apply to exchange your tenancy for another social tenancy you must register with Home Swapper. This allows you to exchange with a tenant anywhere in the UK. There are fees to register with Home Swapper however some Housing Associations have signed up to annual memberships for all their tenants, so check with your landlord to see if you can qualify for free membership.


When this content has been updated

Last updated 22 December 2020