Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Local connection

Show all parts of this guide

3. I dont have a local connection but want to live in Devon

You may not qualify to go onto the housing register for a social tenancy without a local connection to the area you are applying to. This is because the demand for housing is so high, some areas cannot accommodate everyone who wants to live there.

You can arrange a planned move to a new area. You can look for private rented homes and you may qualify for a budgeting loan if you are on certain benefits to help with some of these costs. It is likely you will need to save up yourself towards the cost of a move to a new area.

If you are going to need help to pay your rent through Housing Benefits or Universal Credit, you should check the local housing allowance rates before signing a new tenancy agreement or committing to moving.

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness you may make a homeless application at any local authority you wish. The options offered to you may vary depending on where you apply for assistance.