2. Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital
At the Royal Devon and Exeter (RD&E) hospital, there is a dedicated service to support anyone who does not have a safe, secure and affordable home to return to. This is called Bay6.
Bay6 is a project provided by a local homeless charity, Community Housing Aid. A dedicated worker is available to assist any and all patients who are unsure whether they can return home; be it:
- evictions and rent arrears
- changes in circumstances whilst in hospital
- problems with benefits entitlements
- rough sleeping, those 'sofa surfing'/staying with friends or are homeless due a relationship breakdown
- complex issues such as substance misuse, abuse or tenancy rights
A member of staff from Bay6 will arrange to visit the hospital and meet with you to hopefully find a housing solution. Bay6 work very closely with the District Councils in Devon as well as Social Services, Housing Associations as well as specialist agencies such as Onward Care, Together Drug and Alcohol Service and Assertive Homeless Outreach Team.
With your agreement, Bay6 will:
- undertake an assessment, so that we have all the information which might be needed
- liaise with hospital staff, District Councils and others on your behalf
- explain (without jargon!) what your rights, choices and options are
- work with you to find a housing solution
If anyone you care about is worried about their housing, or if you are a patient concerned about where you will go when discharged from hospital, please:
- Raise it with a member of staff at the hospital, or simply ask for a referral to Bay6
- Let hospital staff know as soon as possible (even when you are admitted)
They aim to see patients within 48 hours, and will always work in your best interests. To make a referral, please call 01392 429294 and let us know your name and what hospital ward you (or a family member or friend) are on.