2. Dealing with an illegal eviction
Illegal eviction is a serious offence. The courts may be able to force your landlord to allow you back into your home. The courts can also impose fines and award compensation to you as the tenant.
If you are illegally evicted you may be able to
- contact the local Council's Housing Options Team for help in negotiating with your landlord;
- force re-entry (as long as it is safe and legal to do so)
- get an injunction from the court allowing you to return to your home and restrict the actions of the landlord
- claim compensation through the courts for the losses you have suffered